Wednesday, June 9, 2010

For a change I won't waste 20 odd minutes thinking about a title

Its strange that a Realplayer playlist can have songs from 100 greatest Guitar Solos as well as Poran Jaye Jolia Re. Must say that I have a weird preference when it comes to music. Its been quite sometime since my last post. March kept me busy as the college elections were held. Its a pity Forum For Arts Students lost.Subconsciously I guess we all knew what was coming. The effort given by us for the last two weeks clearly wasn't enough to make up for our lack in unity as well as clever strategy and its successful executions. Things do not seem to look so good even though three months have gone by after the debacle. Hope we can bring back among students the trust and love they shared for FAS as well as the firm belief that FAS, unlike a regimented political party is their very own organization, their very own forum. April was extremely extremely depressing. I don't know whether it was the elections or not, but the distance between us seemed to widen with every passing day. Her excuse was that my political inactivity for the last one year pissed her off. I share completely different views. Whatever it is, we stopped talking and meeting on a regular basis. And since the end semester examinations were near I could not help but start concentrate on academics. Painful it was, but when one runs out of options he has to take the nearest possible way, which in my case was to start focusing on my term paper, get a firm grip on myself and somehow manage the huge Augustan as well as Literature & Censorship syllabus. I don't know how well the management went,but surely a debacle has been avoided. May also saw me earning something for the first time by assisting a friend in editing and doing a voice over for a corporate documentary. I realized the importance of earning something at regular intervals. More than being a financial help, it gives one the realization that he isn't as hopeless as he thinks himself to be.

It was a pity that no new video games were released during this time period. Splinter Cell: Conviction had requirements superior than my computer and hence prevented me from being able to play it. Not that I am a huge fan of the series. Its just that whenever a new video game comes out, its kind of a default impulse to play it,irrespective of whether its likable or not. May also saw the three month running Marvel event titled Dark Reign coming to an end. The heroes i.e The Avengers as expected successfully came out of their exile and ended the Dark Reign. For a change, a couple of Gods died and hopefully Marvel does not plan to bring them back. The terribly boring,confusing and utterly stupid DC Event Blackest Night also saw its last issue being published. Martian Manhunter, Hawkman,Aquaman were all happily resurrected. So was poor Bruce Wayne though at present he is travelling through different time periods and discovering the fact that his ancestors were crime fighters as well!!! Lucky Bruce. Apart from the new X-Men series (titled Second Coming) I am optimistic about neither Marvel's Heroic Age or DC's Brightest Day and Return of Bruce Wayne. They just don't seem interesting, right from the first issue itself. May also saw the release of the highly anticipated Iron Man 2 which was plain bullshit and disappointment. I mean you give one of the best actors around (No, Not talking about Downey Jr..... Am referring to Mickey Rourke) just 7 odd lines and a terribly undecipherable thick Russian accent, you know that its crap that you're offering to the audience. Moreover they tried to make a pseudo-Dark Knight storyline,with Stark having moral problems between himself and his superhero persona, which clearly didn't work out. The only film which can breathe life in all of us again is Christopher Nolan's Inception scheduled to release this July.That man knows how to make films. Oh yes he does!!!!

I don't know whether its me or whether it is a co-incidence but all the recent films which I saw, seem to contain high doses of existentialist themes in their story. Maybe its me undergoing an existentialist crisis and finding similar themes in whichever film I am watching. Or is it that existentialism IS a part of everything living around us? Maybe the crisis which comes from questioning one's existence is the source for all that is human which again is a source for whatever story we write and portray it on screen. The Man Who Wasn't There, Naboer, The Time of the Wolf,Benny's Video,The Element of Crime, The Nines,Vengeance is Mine are a few of the films which I saw more than once over the last one month and tried to find out whether they follow a similar pattern which can be linked to any of the character's facing an existential dilemma. Maybe existentialism isn't something as difficult as it seems to be. I personally feel its just going through a subconscious crisis where one questions the fact as to what are the reasons of his existence and if by chance he seems to be unable to fulfill them, then what was the point of him existing all this while. Maybe I simplified it a bit,but I think this is what the basic premise of Existentialism comprises of.

Its late. I have not been able to sleep much for the last three months or so. I have been having terrible terrible nightmares and now it seems that I have developed a phobia which is preventing me from falling asleep. Like everything else, I hope to get over this too as soon as possible. Everything works out for the best. It just takes a little bit of time for us to realize and acknowledge this. And once we do, looking back at past events no longer seems to be a task either difficult or painful. Cheers. Life is good. Bonne Nuit :)


No comments:

Post a Comment